No announcement yet.

Interactive Rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any more information about this? System requirements and some description about the feature? Will it update lighting changes realtime too ?
    Looks like an awesome feature to have, I hope the computing power required for this is not too much!

Comment

Given it's similar to PPT, but progressive, the more it sits on a frame, the better the quality.
      Specs shouldn't change much, or at all, for it to work, compared to normal Renders.
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

If I remember right the Siggraph demo that is on Youtube etc. was rendered on 3 or 4 DR'd Octas.
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

Yeah it will probably work on any computer, the only difference would be the speed at which it improves the quality of the frame. Although it would probably take a good workstation or a couple of good ones linked together to improve the frame quality pretty quickly to be able to make it get closer to "realtime" with the similar to PPT method.

Reminds me of the Crysis realtime lighting demo, something like that would be awesome:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArOBQ2V4IEE&fmt=18
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI1DSiZNKSc&fmt=18

Originally posted by RErender View Post
          If I remember right the Siggraph demo that is on Youtube etc. was rendered on 3 or 4 DR'd Octas.
          Looks like I'm 3 octas short then
          Last edited by rmejia; 04-03-2008, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            You will be able to see this in action really soon

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I think I just wet myself again...
            I really need to get some new underwear...
            www.artbyarjan.com - Online portfolio (temporarily offline)
            @home:
            / AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.00Ghz / ATI HD 4890 / 8Gb Ram /
            / Vista Ultimate x64 / Max 2010 / Vray 1.5 SP3a Edu /
            @work:
            / Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz /
            Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 / 8Gb Ram /
            / Vista Bussines x64 /

Comment

interactive...sounds promising (understatement..)
              Schoonheid vertroebeld de geest

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                Be careful what you wish for... it may come true

Best regards,
                Vlado

nice to hear that: I wish that too..
                Best regards,
                Andrian

Comment

I've been waiting for something like this for a long time, bring it on!! Vlado can you give us any more info, or some idea when you will release more specific information?

Comment

Not going to hold my breath.

I always hate the term "realtime" because it's been thrown around for 10+ years, yet I have never seen anything ever truely be "realtime". The only realtime things I have ever seen have been under VERY controlled situations. SURE a game engine may be "realtime", but that's because of the 1000's and 1000's of hours that went into creating the assets in a VERY specific mannor. Like controlling the polygon count on EVERY single object, baking in the lighting into the textures, creating high res geometry and then generating normal maps from that to place on lower res geometry. Creating multiple levels of detail objects AND maps that can be swapped out based upon the distance to the camera, so on and so on.

So sure.. it's realtime.. but the effort behind it all to get it to be realtime is enormous, and they use every trick in the book and usually invent a few along the way. And also, yes, as computers get more and more powerful with more memory they have been able to cram more and more into it... but even today, it's realtime because of the enormous effort that goes into making it realtime.. not because it can handle anything you throw at it.

I will dance a jig for all eternity when comes the day that we NEVER have to look at a wireframe again. Where "realtime" truely means "realtime" and you never have to actually RENDER anything. Where what you are creating is WYSIWYG. Reflections, refractions, caustics, effects, shadows, highlights, atmospherics, DOF, everything.. on a 1 billion polygon scene at 30 frames a second, I will think I died and went to heaven.

Until then, I have always been disappointed with all claims of "realtime". Because when you work on projects where you are the jack of all trades.. and your deadlines are measured in hours/days.. NOT weeks/months. And you are creating massive, relatively detailed enviroments, that you have to populate with anything you can get your hands on because you don't have the time to model everything yourself where you could pay attention to the appropriate level of detail. So you may end up with a mesh heavy scene that doesn't need to be.. but it's all you could do in the amount of time you had. PLUS you don't have 1-2 lights, you have anywhere from 30 to 200+ lights!

In that situation.. these "realtime" previews I have always found worthless because they can't handle it. What I work on always seems to bog them down and make them beg for mercy. Heck.. MAX has had a realtime-preview-like-viewport you can use since what? Like version 5 or 6? How many people ever found that useful? I never did because, like I am saying.. once you got over a few hundred thousand polygons and more than just a couple of lights.. it took just as long to "preview" it as it did to render it.

Don't get me wrong.. those demos looked amazing.. and I'm sure when you are just modeling ONE (or just a few) objects with just a couple of light sources, I hope it will be a major asset. The demo where they were showing the old racing car. I would prefer to see how it works when you have a scene that has that car on a race track.. with 30 other cars.. grandstands, people in the grandstands, news trucks, pits, flags, other buildings, trees, and on and on. Again.. like I said.. it looked pretty amazing modeling that one car.. or having 4-5 of those cars in the same scene, it seemed pretty responsive.. .but I would really like to see what happens when you build the world AROUND those cars.

But for the type of work that I do (and I would assume a lot of other people here), I can hope that it will be a major new tool in my belt.. but I'm not going to hold my breath for a miracle.
                    Last edited by MikeHampton; 11-03-2008, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHampton View Post
                      I can hope that it will be a major new tool in my belt.. but I'm not going to hold my breath for a miracle.
                      Quoted for agreement.
                      Miracles aren't something you would want to hinge the quality of your work on.
                      Tools, however, can be the difference between making a deadline and not making it, when the user knows how to best handle them
                      There will never be a substitute for good working practices, in my opinion.
                      Lele
                      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                      ----------------------
                      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                        Quoted for agreement.
                        Miracles aren't something you would want to hinge the quality of your work on.
                        Tools, however, can be the difference between making a deadline and not making it, when the user knows how to best handle them
                        There will never be a substitute for good working practices, in my opinion.
                        Yes.. definatly. I just hope that it IS a tool in my belt. Like I mentioned, the built in max "realtime" preview window never even was that. I guess if you were modeling a box with 2 lights.. it might be, but anything more than that and it turned out to not even be a tool in my belt.. just a useless feature.

Comment

the whole concept sounds fantastic

if i have a scene that takes 24 hours to render at roughly 3000x2000 pixels currently, then how much processing power would i need to be able to produce a real time interactive preview?

Thats the main thing that i'm worried about. I mean if it will require a farm of 100 machines to do this task then that would be great to know in advance. All in good time i guess?

an interactive realtime preview is something people could use now so if there is any way of getting organised and prepared to be able to use this excellent technology when released then that would be great. Clients are constantly asking why we cant do this yet...

Comment

paulison did u check this already?
                            Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                            nuno@ene-digital.com
                            00351 917593145

Comment

I must have missed this thread when it originally started... The CGIndia video is my YouTube video that I shot in San Diego with the video mode of a compact still camera, and it is originally posted here: http://vray.info/news/n0208.asp
                              Guess I should have watermarked it

The new videos that Vlado posted are mirrored on VRay.info now in case the server is slow for anyone. Linked from the front page.
                              Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

Hi...
                                I thing tonight I'll dream not black and white but PPT noisy

Here's some more links...
                                http://www.spot3d.com/vray_downloads...rt_test_A1.wmv
                                http://www.spot3d.com/vray_downloads...estA2_logo.wmv
                                http://www.spot3d.com/vray_downloads...estA4_logo.wmv

Comment

Working...
                                X