No announcement yet.

VrayAmbientLight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh, this kind of confusion made me very reluctant to include the ambient light at all originally...

Best regards,
    Vlado
    Last edited by vlado; 13-11-2009, 10:42 AM.
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hah, the real problem is that people who are confused haven`t tried it fully, and still keeping talking about it, so this is the source of confusion, because, the ambientLight couldn`t be any simpler.

The most practical use of ambientLight is to fake GI via vrayDirt+ambientLight. The result can be awful or spectacular - depends on the settings in vrayDirt, which varies of the type of scene ( interior/exterior ) - this part of setup of vrayDirt is the only you need to be focused.

At our studio, we used all possible combinations of the all vray light types with the ambLight, and at the end - it was best to use only ambLight with dayLight system.

I`m attaching a sample scene with ambientLight+dayLight system. For comparision with bruteforce GI at same subdivs value as is in vrayDirt you need to turn off the ambientLight and just turn on GI. The GI have saturation=0 just because for comparision, as in current state ambientLight doesn`t sample environment.
      Attached Files

Comment

The easiest way to look at it is it is a very fast/useful way to get AO as indirect lighting globaly.

Regards,
        Mike
        http://mikebracken.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          Heh, this kind of confusion made me very reluctant to include the ambient light at all originally...

Best regards,
          Vlado
          perhaps a tutorial or two can help clears up all the confusion....
          it would do that for me since i am in no man's land witht his AmbientLight stuff..
          Davis
          Originally posted by 3DMK
          do I want to be a rich business man or a poor artist?

caddworkx

Comment

Yep, docs and/or tuts would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by duke2 View Post
              I guess you could use it with a domelight..... but I don't know why you would.
              Late reply but:

So that you have the ambient light & the main light from a dome light (if using hdri) combined in the final image. Im assuming that is what the ambient light is used for...

Ive just tried turning off all lights in my scene apart from the ambient light and the AO is fine, but now I just have the ao and flat colours..so do i comp this into my rendered scene without ambient light using photoshop ?
              Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

So what about the render elements?
                I noticed that if i render with a ambient light that the dirt is taken into account in my lighting pass. So it is a combination of direct light and the AO. Is it possible to get the AO in a separate pass for seperate control in post?

Regards,

Joost

Comment

You can do that with a VRayExtraTex element with VRayDirt in it.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi Vlado,

What i understood is that the extratex does not take the reflection of glass in account because you have to exclude it. So it is not completely the same right?
                    And if i render with a ambient light and want to take control over the AO created by my ambient light i guess i will need to plus or substract the extratex AO pass from my lighting pass in post?
                    Would this be more or less the workflow?

Regards,

Joost

Comment

For wanting to use render passes and texlight/dirt combo, perhaps idealy there should be a new "global illumination" pass based on the texlight. This way you could maybe use the classic buildup of passes.

Comment

something like that would be nice..... I Guess

Comment

Working...
                        X