store with irradiance look different.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• store with irradiance look different.

when i render a scene and use store with irradiance map on the vray lights, the image looks different to the image without this option enabled.

the highlights are not that strong.

latest demo.

I've noticed the same thing. If checked, I get a lot more splotching in my renders then if I don't check it. It's a real shame because it is so much faster if used.

Tony

Comment

Not quite sure if this is something new (What is the latest demo build?). Since when it's turned on the direct light is calculated through the Irradiance map as apposed to Direct computation you will see errors if the Indirect illumination settings aren't great enough.

--Jon

Comment

Yeah ive had the same problem ... never the same quality everything is blurred.... the same with glossies .. perhaps the map is over compressed or something ?
        Natty
        http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

This seems very logical to me, it's a completely different approach.

With store checked, it's kinda like there would be a selfilluminated plane instead of the vray light, it's all GI light.

With normal vray light, the bounces are calculated with GI of course, but the first rays that come from the light are like with any other light and these cast the shadows too. With store checked, these first rays are calculated by the IR map settings and there's no area shadow calculation involved at all, the subdivs also will have no effect since there are no area shadows used.

It only speeds up rendering because there are no area shadows calculated. The IR map calculation is probabely slower with 'store' checked, but the total frame time is faster because of the lack of area shadow calculation.

I usually use 'store' on lights that I put in windows to get more light into a room. In the windows that are visible in the render and that have a strong effect on the look of shadows, I uncheck store, but all other windows I use 'store' to speed up rendering.
          Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

If you don't want to blur the irradiance map, you'd need quite high settings (Max rate at least 0, Delone triangulation for interpolation, and lower QMC noise threshold). The irradiance map is so fast because it interpolates and blurs the GI, that is its purpose...

Further on, the irradiance map does not store any specular illumination, so if you use the "Store with irradiance map" option of VRayLights, you won't get any speculars from them.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
            X