"Lele's VRay Tools" Script Pack:Realtime Sky Added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I can totally understand Lele's point. I had released my first freeware plugin 1999 and added several free plugins since then. From the pure download statistics a lot people use them.
    But I didn't have much positive effects from giving away stuff. Last thing was 2007 when someone bought me a drink at the siggraph 3dsmax user meeting .
    But I often get angry emails from people who are in the middle of a project and need an updated version asap to open an old file.
    What do people think? Even commercial tools wouldnt send you updates within an hour reaction time.

As a consequence I simply stopped giving away stuff.

-Dieter
    --------
    visit my developer blog

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
      This is a VERY low blow, Eric.
      Like i did it for any of those, or money.
      Have i got a right to be slightly fucked off when someone requests stuff from their high perched, golden tower, and does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to contribute?
      Is a 1$ donation, as a show of appreciation, too much to ask?
      Is a reply to a post asking for directions, changes and suggestions too much to ask?
      Finally, is a post like your latter worth ANY money, effort, notoriety that may come from long, obscure hours in a basement when totally out of paid work?
      I honestly think not.
      Then again, you must fall in the category of those that love to take and then forget to give, so i wouldn't expect any different an outcome.
      Wow, I am being mis-read left and right lately... I wholly meant it in understanding of your position... go ahead, picture me as some mean person hunched over the keyboard, slamming keys in spite if you like, heh.

Although for me and my meager contributions to my fellow Max artists those are enough.
      Eric Boer
      Dev

Comment

Lele, try to think to made a commercial version with a new upgrade. For example, if I know that this script will be update for new VRay version, added new feature, I try to think that it's possible buy it, for example, about.. $30-$40 (just an idea)? I prefer this way, that non-constant upgrade and donation.
        You worked a lot for this script, don't stop, please
        www.francescolegrenzi.com

VRay - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book
        Corona - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

Yes, indeed, Francesco.
          I actually started rewriting the code, for instance for the exposimeter, factoring in stuff like Z-weighting, and cleaning up the routines a lot.
          The licensing system has been in place for years, it works, and it's safe enough (a lot harder to crack than the one for polyboost, for instance) to go with a commercial product.
          In fact, i had in mind a few additions which might make the pack viable even when 2.0 comes out.
          Stuff to work with LOADS of proxies and their filenames, and if given permission from the company i created it first at, i could also rewrite one which allowed to paint shaped reflections on objects, and another which scanned a scene, even a very complex one, to try and figure out memory consumption (maps, framebuffer and channels, and geometry) and suggest the best settings for static/dynamic BPS and the right amounts of dyn memory to allow not to swap out at rendertime.
          The thing is that i actually took a year of sabbatical from CG, and decided not to open up max for a long while.
          So it's all sitting there idly, at the moment.
          The passion's coming back, however, and i should be scribbling scripts soon enough.
          Of course, if someone has any interest in them a year on since your last post.
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Why don't you arrange something with chaosgroup, so that some of your scripts get released wit offical releases, like the cam converter, etc. Anyways, I would pay too for your scripts. I hope you get back on track.

Comment

That could be an idea, once i finish the rewrite.
              Since the last version of the pack, i had the pleasure and privilege to work with the likes of Bobo and Martijn Van Herk, two of the maxscript gods (Bobo writes the maxscript manual...), and learnt a great deal.
              The original pack had the code encrypted because i HATED the way it was written.
              It was actually a miracle they worked, and surely they couldn't be read by anyone else. :P
              Of course, this has any sense only if Vlado and the guys at chaos have any interest in them being part of the VRay releases.
              Lele
              ----------------------

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I also would pay. Welcome back to Max

Comment

Check in the see if this wonderful pack is still in que to be updated.

Comment

yes Lele, it's not like you have anything to do 4 in the morning
                    Kind Regards,
                    Morne

Comment

Eheh Morne, quite right there (closes SC2 down in a hurry...)!

Well, by now you all know vray 2.0 is coming, at some point in the future.
                      I'm beta testing it, and trying to figure out what is going to be needed by then, rather than rewriting stuff like the exposimeter which would be only a toy (i surely wouldn't prefer that to the vray realtime exposure, for instance).
                      I'm also trying to figure out what causes some bad max crashes with max 2011 for some scripts (mostly some unreleased ones).
                      So it's not going to be updated until there's a somewhat stable developing base.
                      Of course, should anyone need a specific update for 1.5xx for one or the other script, or just has some blitzing idea for new ones, do feel free to PM or Mail me.
                      Lele
                      ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Has anyone been able to get Lele's scripts running in Max 2013? Perhaps I have done something wrong - I can install, but running them does not do anything and no error messages are generated. I was using them fine in Max 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Hart View Post
                          Has anyone been able to get Lele's scripts running in Max 2013? Perhaps I have done something wrong - I can install, but running them does not do anything and no error messages are generated. I was using them fine in Max 2012.
                          Same here...but I can get "AnythingToVraycam" to work by using maxscripts>run script however I cannot get it to load any way into the UI...

Comment

I have updated the installers and individual unencrypted files to make sure the scripts run up to and including max 2014.
                            Grab the new version here.
                            Also, MAKE SURE you READ the warning. I will not take responsibility for dead cats. ^^

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/sc...les-vray-tools
                            Lele
                            ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                              I have updated the installers and individual unencrypted files to make sure the scripts run up to and including max 2014.
                              Grab the new version here.
                              Also, MAKE SURE you READ the warning. I will not take responsibility for dead cats. ^^

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/sc...les-vray-tools
                              Thank you for updating these Lele!

Comment

hey, you're most welcome.
                                So far, the autofocus and exposimeter (provided exposure is on the physical cameras, and not in the exposure panel) seem to work.
                                Which is 90% of what i use of those old scripts. :P
                                Lele
                                ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                                X