SP3: Arch&Design Materials render black inside of Multi-Subs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP3: Arch&Design Materials render black inside of Multi-Subs

it appears that arch&design material support in SP3 does not work if the material is within a multi-sub. can anyone confirm this?

assuming this is the case, any chance this will be fixed?

thanks,
    greg

Arch Design Materials

Are you saying that if you remove the material sub obects vray renders the Arch Design Materials - thats labor intensive...I can't get the Promaterials which is basically Arch Design Material to render anything but Black... have you encounter this as well?

Comment

The Pro materials are not supported yet; we hope to release an expansion pack for sp3 to support those too sometime soon.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by robman321 View Post
        I can't get the Promaterials which is basically Arch Design Material to render anything but Black...
        They are not Arch&Design materials in the way you are used to thinking; they are mental ray shaders based on the mia_* mental ray material (the same one on which the Arch&Design material is based). However, there is no real Arch&Design material behind them as such.

Anyways, like I said, we should be able to support them to a useable degree soon enough.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

arch design materials render in vray when they are not inside of a multi-sub. if they are nested in a multi-sub, they render black and without an alpha. not speaking about "pro materials" here, just the standard Arch&Design.

although i used to use vray exclusively when i was in arch-vis, we have been using mental ray consistently here on projects over the last year and a half or so. now that i am more versed with mr, there are a few things that have made me nostalgic for vray, so i am trying to get vray more integrated into our pipeline.

we have come to rely on mr's arch&design and fast skin almost exclusively, so when i saw SP3's support for arch&design as well as its new skin shader, it seemed i might be able to build a case for vray much more easily.

vlado: is this arch&design support a "bug" or a limitation you have yet to address? is it something that can be fixed soon or easily? almost all of our assets rely on multi-sub materials, and having arch&design support in vray for assets that have already been created is huge.

thanks,
          greg

Comment

For the multi-subobject thing, it is an oversight really and we'll correct this.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

So I have a fix for this now, if anyone is interested, please email me to vlado@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Perhaps not directly related to this subject, but will it be possible to use mental mill to create shaders for use with V-ray when 3ds max 2010 is released? I mean since Arch & design works there shouldn't be impossible?

Comment

Originally posted by Undersky View Post
                  Perhaps not directly related to this subject, but will it be possible to use mental mill to create shaders for use with V-ray when 3ds max 2010 is released? I mean since Arch & design works there shouldn't be impossible?

good question? Mental mill seems to be interesting, any comments about it?
                  Alessandro

Comment

We are looking into it, but it's too early to say anything. I don't think 3ds Max 2010 has the necessary framework to allow this yet, but it is certainly a future possibility.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

autodesk linear process -

Vlado,

Thanks for you foresight on this issue, Promaterials are the lowest common deminator as far as Autodesk Masterplan goes...

1. Revit Design
                      2. Max
                      3. Vray Render Solution

*We too must strive to be as linear as possible...

thanks, rob

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                      They are not Arch&Design materials in the way you are used to thinking; they are mental ray shaders based on the mia_* mental ray material (the same one on which the Arch&Design material is based). However, there is no real Arch&Design material behind them as such.

Anyways, like I said, we should be able to support them to a useable degree soon enough.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

We are looking into it, but it's too early to say anything. I don't think 3ds Max 2010 has the necessary framework to allow this yet, but it is certainly a future possibility.
                        That's good to hear!

Comment

The Pro materials are not supported yet; we hope to release an expansion pack for sp3 to support those too sometime soon.

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          Is there any news on that subject?
                          Alain Blanchette
                          www.pixistudio.com

Comment

Working...
                          X