Carbon Fibre Material Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Fibre Material Query

I'm currently working on a project that has a fair amount of carbon fibre parts on it. I'm trying to create a realistic Carbon Fibre material that has the base weave covered by a glossy coat, so instantly i went for the VRayBlendMtl. To create a realistic result i need the bottom layer, being the weave, to reflect light at different angles based on the weave pattern. While the glossy top coat reflects like a normal car paint type material. Obviously if i put a bump the bottom layer weave if effects the glossy coat also, which leads to my question.

Is there anyway to bump the bottom layer while having the top layer unaffected?

Reference Image. Notice the bottom layer weave reflects light based on the angle of the weave, while there is still a glossy coat covering the surface.
    Attached Files
    James Hall
    Technical Director
    New Zealand
    www.jhall.nz

I don't know too much about Vrayblend but it sounds like Shellac would do what you are describing. Tough material to master though, it would seem.
    Tim Nelson
    timnelson3d.com

Comment

OR.... http://www.vray-materials.de/all_mat...&Submit=Search
      Tim Nelson
      timnelson3d.com

Comment

I've looked at most of these materials, they're all the same just a simple diffuse map with reflection on top. None of them have the specific layered effect I'm after.

Your may be onto something with Shellac though, i'll play around with that see what i can get.
        James Hall
        Technical Director
        New Zealand
        www.jhall.nz

Comment

Originally posted by Short_Fuse View Post
          Obviously if i put a bump the bottom layer weave if effects the glossy coat also, which leads to my question.

Is there anyway to bump the bottom layer while having the top layer unaffected?
          actually this would be the correct way to do it, and the vray blend mat does just that. a bump map on the base layer does not affect the coating/s.
          here's a quick try. vray blend mat, bottom layer is reflective with low glossiness and has bumb; top one it's just a reflective coating, mirror like. as you can see the reflections on the coating are not affected by the underlying bump.

Last edited by rivoli; 21-05-2009, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Hi

In the future these sort of posts should be kept in the general section please as this section is for vray problems.

N
            Natty
            http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

Are you using the aditive mode for this?
              www.gaell.com

Comment

Originally posted by gagui View Post
                Are you using the aditive mode for this?
                no, additive unchecked.

here's another one, which looks a bit like carbon fiber:

Comment

That's a nice start Rivoli.

b
                  Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
                  e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Please rivoli, can you tell me how to put a coat layer affecting only in the reflections and not in the diffuse without activating the additive mode in vrayblend?
                    www.gaell.com

Comment

Originally posted by simmsimaging View Post
                      That's a nice start Rivoli.

b
                      eh, cheers for that it was very quickly put together. even though the bump map it's accurate enough, the spec one doesn't really match, and I guess a diffuse map might add some realism if properly painted.

Originally posted by gagui View Post
                      Please rivoli, can you tell me how to put a coat layer affecting only in the reflections and not in the diffuse without activating the additive mode in vrayblend?
                      I usually make the coating 100% reflective and then tweak it with a falloff map in the blend amount slot. being totally reflective it doesn't affect the diffuse of the base layer.

Comment

You should probably make a map for the anisotropic angle instead of bump for the reflections. Any bump will be very subtle in this kind of material.
                        Signing out,
                        Christian

Comment

I did the attached teapot a while back using the carbon fibre anisotropic rotation map on this page: http://www.xsi-blog.com/archives/197
                          Attached Files
                          www.peterguthrie.net
                          www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
                          www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

Originally posted by peterguthrie View Post
                            I did the attached teapot a while back using the carbon fibre anisotropic rotation map on this page: http://www.xsi-blog.com/archives/197
                            Nice teapot!
                            so vray can read coloured maps as anisotropic rotation maps? - I just presumed it only accepted black and white maps, but obviously not.... unless you changed the red and blue map peter to greyscale?

Comment

ummmm.. not sure! I just tried it and it came out looking OK!
                              www.peterguthrie.net
                              www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
                              www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

Working...
                              X