VrayAmbientLight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayAmbientLight

thanks a lot for the mental ray style ambient light...I've wanted this for years.

now i can do instant ambient occlusion with transparencies and conserved diffuse colors...that's great!

now if only it worked with VRayRT
    Marc Lorenz
    ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
    www.marclorenz.com
    www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Wish I could actually download SP4 so I can see what the difference is between this and a regular sphere or dome light..

Comment

The ambient light is brilliant. Very nice for faked gi for moving objects. Thanks for this update. Very easy to set up now.
      Vlado, is there a way to get vray dirt to sample the environment ?

Regards,
      Mike
      Last edited by mmikee; 27-10-2009, 05:50 PM.
      http://mikebracken.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Comment

indeed, env sampling seems to work in only screen space mode

Comment

Originally posted by mmikee View Post
          Vlado, is there a way to get vray dirt to sample the environment?
          Not right now; this is best reserved for the dome light (which, in newer builds, will also allow you to set the shadow ray distance).

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Yes I have full confidence in the upcoming domelight tweaks for optimised rendering (the domelight is allready great), but I also like it quick and dirty .

Now anyways, the bottomline is, the ambientlight is allready awesome.

Comment

as my download is still going on, what does it?

cheers
              stefan

Comment

I'm a little confused here. At first I thought I could put an environment map in the lightmap slot but that gave odd results, then I put vraydirt in there and it has AO - but what's the difference between this and the dome light? Is it calculated differently?

Comment

domelight is not AO...
                  with AO you'll get "illumination" in closed rooms too, like inside a (shelled) box.
                  It makes every object self illuminated and occlusive at the same time, every surfaces point samples from other areas within the the dirtmap radius.
                  Last edited by plastic_; 29-10-2009, 11:11 PM.
                  Marc Lorenz
                  www.marclorenz.com

Comment

As I'm in the middle of a project, and so won't be downloading SP4 yet, could someone tell me what the VRayAmbientLight is/does.

Thanks.

Comment

Yes, enlighten us please.

Comment

Originally posted by plastic_ View Post
                        domelight is not AO...
                        with AO you'll get "illumination" in closed rooms too, like inside a (shelled) box.
                        It makes every object self illuminated and occlusive at the same time, every surfaces point samples from other areas within the the dirtmap radius.
                        Marc, are you planning on updating your AO script to include the new ambient light?
                        Chris Jackson
                        Shiftmedia
                        www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Could you dumb that down for me please.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksc02 View Post
                            Marc, are you planning on updating your AO script to include the new ambient light?
                            Yes, definitely

Hopefully I can find some time to update it, I also got a lot of feature requests.

I can easily add the new ambient light mode, for preserving diffuse colors and reflection/refraction. Whats not so easy is preserving material options in classic b/w mode, I'll have to think about that.

Viewport rendering and texture baking would be cool too.

I also started working on some interesting feature to layer/multiply occlusion, which is probably useless, but it looks great (excessive black bleeding overkill).

But the real fun starts when Vlado (hopefully) adds support for dirtmap and ambient light in Vray RT
                            Marc Lorenz
                            www.marclorenz.com

Comment

VRayAmbientLight adds the ability to create an ambient light in VRay, similar to Mental Ray or scanline ambient. Additionally, you can add AO in the form the VRayDirtMap. This is presumably no faster (or slower) than manually adding AO to all your materials, but provides the obvious benefit of a global control.

What seperates it from the VRay Dome Light is that it can use AO, rather than brute-force GI which doesn't provide the usual benefits of AO (ray distance, etc.)

Please correct me if this explanation is bullshit

Comment

Working...
                              X