• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah the Tesla and quadro aren't that great at RT GPU compared to GTX,

Thanks anyways, useful info

Cheers
    3LP Team

Comment

• OK so I'm getting just over 7 minutes with CUDA on a GTX 670 with 4GB. People were getting 2m something on ancient 580s. I would think the 670 is faster?
      On opening, max told me the files is setup with gamma 1.0

Now for some strange issues. If I switch between CUDA and CPU, the camera views dont match. CPU looks like it's giving me a slighlty wider angle?!?
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

• Originally posted by Morne View Post
        OK so I'm getting just over 7 minutes with CUDA on a GTX 670 with 4GB. People were getting 2m something on ancient 580s. I would think the 670 is faster?
        On opening, max told me the files is setup with gamma 1.0

Now for some strange issues. If I switch between CUDA and CPU, the camera views dont match. CPU looks like it's giving me a slighlty wider angle?!?
        You should compare the same V-Ray versions. Different versions have different noise level for the same amount of time for example, which makes the tests between different V-Ray versions not correct.
        580 is reported in the benchmark sheet to be around 3.5 minutes (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...A0k/edit#gid=0). Also 670 is newer, but uses 170Watt compared to the 250Watt usage of 580 .
        V-Ray fan.
        Looking busy around GPUs ...
        RTX ON

Comment

• Is there a newer benchmark somewhere that's already setup for 2.2 Gamma?

Also, whats up with the different camera fov between CPU and CUDA?
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

Is there a newer benchmark somewhere that's already setup for 2.2 Gamma?

Also, whats up with the different camera fov between CPU and CUDA?
            I am not sure about if there is another benchmark scene. I think the camera is different because of distortion not being supported in RT GPU. We will get to that.
            V-Ray fan.
            RTX ON

Comment

OK so I'm getting just over 7 minutes with CUDA on a GTX 670 with 4GB. People were getting 2m something on ancient 580s. I would think the 670 is faster
              Although I haven't tested the 670 directly against the "ancient" 580s, please keep in mind that the overall RT/GPU rendering power of nVidea's GPUs, core for core, has been reduced greatly as they have changed and ..er..."upgraded" their GPU architecture.

At the time, I was told by their project manager that the GPUs just were not being designed to be optimal for Vray RT/GPU-style rendering, so I shouldn't expect better performance with the new architecture(s), core for core. And of course this is exactly what we have seen.

As proof of all this, your 670 has nearly 3 times the cores as a single 580 and as you have seen, the rendering times do not seem to reflect that. It's just the way they decided to go.

As was mentioned, the new boards do use a lot less power per core.

The upshot of all this is that my 2 580 boards are still installed and running RT/GPU very well after all these years.

-Alan

Comment

• Let's hope that the Pascal architecture will be better in that regard

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Originally posted by vlado View Post
                  Let's hope that the Pascal architecture will be better in that regard

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Yes, let's!

-Alan

Comment

• Originally posted by vlado View Post
                    Let's hope that the Pascal architecture will be better in that regard

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    Sadly, not so much.

Single Titan X Pascal. For some reason 3ds Max Design 2014 (3m 52.6) was faster than 3ds Max 2017 (4m 41.1).

Click image for larger version

Name:	vrayrt_gpu_bench_interior_titan_X-P_2017.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	862958 Click image for larger version

Name:	vrayrt_gpu_bench_interior_titan_X-P_2014.jpg
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	862959

On the bright side, I am very happy with the view port performance of the new Titan compared to my old Quadro K5000.

-Greg

Comment

• Originally posted by GregM View Post
                      Sadly, not so much.

Single Titan X Pascal. For some reason 3ds Max Design 2014 (3m 52.6) was faster than 3ds Max 2017 (4m 41.1).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31871[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]31872[/ATTACH]

On the bright side, I am very happy with the view port performance of the new Titan compared to my old Quadro K5000.

-Greg
                      As the docs say, please always use CUDA for NVIDIA GPUs . It is much faster and has more features.

Best,
                      Blago.
                      V-Ray fan.
                      RTX ON

Comment

• Originally posted by savage309 View Post
                        As the docs say, please always use CUDA for NVIDIA GPUs . It is much faster and has more features.

Best,
                        Blago.
                        Yikes, I just opened the file and hit render - didn't notice it was set to OpenCL

Titan X Pascal using CUDA - 2m 20.3.

Name:	vrayrt_gpu_bench_interior_titan_X-P_CUDA.jpg
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	862964

Thanks for catching my error Blago.

-Greg
                        Last edited by GregM; 06-08-2016, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• Ah ha, the new Titan X then?

I'm doing 3 min 05 with my 980 Ti so it means the new titan is 24% faster.

Good to know,
                          Thanks!

Stan
                          Stan

Comment

• GTX1070 W10x64

CUDA latest drivers, single card. 110.1 seconds
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by AtlJimK View Post
                              GTX1070 W10x64

CUDA latest drivers, single card. 110.1 seconds
                              Hello, it will be interesting to know the difference between 3.4 and 3.5 version!
                              If somebody can post it that will be interesting.
                              Thanks

Comment

• Another test with the work desktop. GTX780ti, single card, W7x64, VRay 3.50.03 = 322.2 seconds.

Name:	VRay-RT-GPU-35003-GTX780ti-W7x64.jpg
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	866724

Comment

Working...
                                X