No announcement yet.

zbrush to Vray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every f***ing version, Pixologic changes the behavior of their displacement output, and every f***ing time they screw it up in some new way. in 3.5 for example, you could never use DPSubpix. That would clamp your depth. You might try disabling that in 4, but I've found nothing that works in 4, other than using a 16-bit tiff. It works fine that way, but float would be nice!

Comment

Well it's good to find this out. I will definitely let everyone know where to drop a huge shit this year. I really love the results of Zbrush when things work, but I seriously hate the research time spent making it work.

Comment

Ok. Model topology has to be good. Proper divisions next to edges. If the base model 0 doesn't have that, then export a level 4 map and geo. Next take that 32bit tif from zbrush and load it into Nuke and shuffle the red into all channels (RGBA.) Write out a 32bit raw data exr RGBA from Nuke and attach that in Maya.

The object rendering needs:

Vray Sub D
        Vray Sub D & Displacement Quality
        Displacement Control.

Leave Displacement shift at 0, Displacement amount at 1.
        Set texture file filter to off, allow neg color.
        Displacement Continuity on

I have no idea, but those tif's direct from zbrush 4.0 do not render correctly. It might have been like this in all versions.. I might have been rendering converted exr's before and not have known it.

Here's a zip with the test scene. I do hope it helps. There is a small error in the displacement map from zbrush, but I think that's because of the model being funky.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/Mz...VEhiV3p2Wmc9PQ
        Last edited by Metzger; 14-02-2011, 11:50 PM.

Comment

I also have never been able to get 32-bit exr displacements rendered correctly in Vray. Works perfect in mr, but for some reason I can't get nice displacement quality using 32-bit exr's in Vray. My settings are correct as verified through Metzger's post above so I'm wondering if it's a Vray bug? I've meant to post this on the forums but haven't had a chance as I've been too busy. I'll try to post a sample scene after I get through this tight Friday deadline. :S

Btw, the 32-bit exr displacement maps that I'm using are being generated in Mudbox. So, maybe this is not a Zbrush to Vray problem and more of a Vray bug. Also, I should note that I'm using v1.50.SP1. How does one get access to the nightly builds?

Comment

Working...
          X