Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Physical Camear with a scale factor option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Camear with a scale factor option?

Just throwing this out there... i love the physical camera but the pipeline we use at work is not real world scale and there are issues outside of vray in maya working at real scale. But when using the physical camera the DOF always feels off if your not to scale. And it looks miniature. (because it is!)

Have you ever considered a scale option in the physical camera so that the DOF can be dialed in a bit more accurately at a non real world scale?

It should be enough to enter the appropriate values for the film gate and lens focal distance.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

That's my one of my biggest issues. I sound like the biggest asshole looking like the centimeter police at work. People even tape "centimeters!!" on my back, and scratch "Scott the Centimeter Nazi" in the bathroom stall.

Is there anyway to have a Global Vray scale that will correctly scale everything from Light distance to displacement, to physical camera to Subsurface?

Other 3D package rely on different working scale to function correctly for dynamic simulations etc. When you have multiple scales, an entire production can really be chaos. Especially for quicker commercial productions. If there was a way to work in meters, but have everything calculate correctly in centimeters with one master scale, I think you would make a lot of people happy.

If you have people new to Vray, having to put a light intensity of .00231 by number is a big pain in the ass. I would rather pull a slider than have to keep adding 00's. You have scale functions for just about everything but Physical cam.. It would be really nice to have 1 global scale called physical scale or something.

Comment

Nicely said Scott. I agree on all levels being a fan of not working at true scale. I've worked almost exclusively at 1cm = 1m, but recently am playing with 1cm=1foot... just to things aren't sooooo damn tiny.

a universal scale would be awesome.

Comment

Will think about it, but now that we have the python stuff, you can use the post-translation callback to set the V-Ray scene scale to whatever you like:
          Code:
          from vray.utils import *
          settingsUnits=findByType('SettingsUnitsInfo')
          settingsUnits[0].set('meters_scale', X)
          where X is the value that you must multiply the scene units in order to convert them to meters (f.e. it is 1 if the scene unit is meters, 0.01 for centimeters, 0.1 for decimeters, 0.3048 for feet etc).

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hey Vlado,

I was trying to get this python script to work as we also run Maya cm for ft and are looking for a fast way to do the proper conversion. Everytime we run the script it crashes maya though.. 2012. Is this some outdated info? I see that it's from back in 2003. Is there a better control for global scale translation now?

thanks..
            Andrew

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            Will think about it, but now that we have the python stuff, you can use the post-translation callback to set the V-Ray scene scale to whatever you like:
            Code:
            from vray.utils import *
            settingsUnits=findByType('SettingsUnitsInfo')
            settingsUnits[0].set('meters_scale', X)
            where X is the value that you must multiply the scene units in order to convert them to meters (f.e. it is 1 if the scene unit is meters, 0.01 for centimeters, 0.1 for decimeters, 0.3048 for feet etc).

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Do you use it as a post translation script in the Render Settings Common tab? It's not meant to be used in the Script Editor. I've had the same issue some time ago.

Comment

That was the problem... THANKS!!!! So just so I completely understand... If we have our Maya Unit's set to cm, but we are assuming 1 unit = 1 foot we would want to convert from ft to meters ... as in:

settingsUnits[0].set('meters_scale', 3.28083)

And all other settings such as Photometric Scale we would leave at the default values???

Comment

[QUOTE=Metzger;452104]That's my one of my biggest issues. I sound like the biggest asshole looking like the centimeter police at work. People even tape "centimeters!!" on my back, and scratch "Scott the Centimeter Nazi" in the bathroom stall.

Actually it was "centimetzger" and we tapped it to his chair not his back

Comment

Funny to read thru all this! We have the same issue here. Once I´ve tried to change everything in Maya to meters. We used this excatly 2 hours before we switched back. This scene scale is actually also the cause why we do not use the physical cam here. So I would love some scale conversion thingy too!

Paul
                    VFX Supervisor @ www.parasol-island.com personal website www.dryzen.com latest reel http://vimeo.com/23603917

Comment

Working...
                    X