Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray crashes on rendering :(

... hi guys ,
    I got 248mb scene done in Rhino 4.0 , but I cannot render even 320x240pix frame using simple diffuse material.
    I use QMC/LC but Vray crashes Rhino always
    Objects can be rendered separately but not all together.
    Hardware: 2 x Xeon dualcore / 2 x 1gb ram. OS: Windows XP 32bit.

Is there anyone who renders high-poly scenes using Vray ?

advanced thanks

Re: Vray crashes on rendering

Micha's got a number of tricks. First of you have to extract the meshes from the file so that Rhino doesn't have any of the NURBS in memory. Also, deleting any curves helps. With V-Ray, try rendering to a VRimage as those will save a lot of memory.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

I add a thread with all tricks at the tutorial section. Premeshing and delete NURBS helped me a lot to render complex scenes.
      www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

dalomar ... thanx for support ,
        can you post link to those Misha`s tricks ( if they are posted somewhere ) ?
        What is "VrayImage" ?
        Because of memory management I stop use Vray in Rhino or 3DstudioMAX during last years.

Micha danke fur support - I`ll check this section now ...

Comment

I think Micha just posted them...

VRimage is V-Ray's proprietary image format. Basically what it does is allows the image to be written in chunks as opposed to all at once. That means that the file can be written as a bucket finishes. This circumvents the need to store that image data in memory, so the preview of the image doesn't actually take up much memory at all thus freeing it up for the render itself. In order to use VRimage files you must convert them to EXRs with the converter that's available.
          Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Based on this conversation, am I understanding that is generally more efficient to extract meshes for rendering but use NURBS for the engineering side of things? Please clarify the need to mesh architecture.

Thanks!

Comment

A time ago I found a "secret" reason or at least a reason for crashing that hadn't been described very often.

Most of the time use jpeg images for mapping. It turns out that there are (at least) 3 different kinds of jpeg formats: Baseline (Standard), Baseline optimized and Progressive. Using anything but the standard Baseline kind of mapping for lighting, diffuse, bump or whatever would cause Vray to crash instantly on rendering.

My workaround for this issue was to use PhotoShops's Automate > Batch function to convert all my jpeg image map files to the Baseline type.

I don't know if this is a general problem. If it is, it should be more well known and I hope it has been solved in ver. 1.5.
              The most annoying part, though, would be that there was no "Wrong file format" warning or so explaining the crashes. And it took many futile attempts at reducing map and mesh sizes and so on before I found the reason.

Comment

Boye - I'm curious if you or anyone else has tested this in the latest beta, if not, it sounds like something we should look in to. (Edit: I've forwarded this to some of our testers to see if it's still an issue in our current beta)
                Last edited by dkendig; 28-12-2011, 11:36 AM.
                Best regards,
                Devin Kendig
                Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Originally posted by renee81
                  works fine in the last beta
                  That's the report I just received from one of our testers, so we're looking good so far!
                  Best regards,
                  Devin Kendig
                  Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

I agree, there is no problem of this kind using Rhino 5 / Vfr 1.5 beta.

However, it does persist if I try it out using Rhino 4 / Vfr 1.05.29 even tough It is only the "progressive" type of jpg files as maps that causes the program to crash.

Comment

Working...
                    X