Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance texture displacement problems

Hi,

I created a simple scene in max 2012 with a plane and a sphere. Applied the vray DistTexture to the plane and added the sphere. At this point it rendered correctly. However as soon as I added a displacement mod with the distTex within there was a noticiable offset of where the displace took effect compared to the location of the sphere. This problem was exaggerated by repeating my previous steps but creating the geometry further away from the world space center, added the displacement modifier with the needed distanceTexture. After this was done I couldn't see the displacement until I increased the size of my plane to capture the offset displacement.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Dan

I have a similar issue. very strange! Any one else found this and a fix?

thx

Comment

If you use the 3ds Max Displace modifier, this is a known issue - the modifier operates in local object space, so it does not pass the correct points to the displacement texture; this is just the way 3ds Max operates. We might be able to find a work-around for this, but then again, maybe not.

A work-around on your end could be to move the node pivot of the object to the start of the coordinate system.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

vlado..I know that re-invent the wheel is not the best productive thing but when you found strange(or not vray friendly) behaviour of 3dsmax modifier is not good to write some Chaos modifiers like this about 3dsmax displace??

There will be the warranty of your support until Vray exists as 3dsmax plugin and we are sure to have the best match from 3dsmax tools and the render plugin, and you have less "problem" threads..

What do you think?

Comment

Working...
        X