Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *.exrsl files from VRay

Hi,
    Could someone explain under what settings in VRay / rendering conditions, VRay might choose to generate a *.exrsl file whilst rendering either locally or via a network renderfarm.
    There doesn't seem to be any documentation on this filetype / usage within VRay?
    Thanks,
    Mike

found this bit of info: http://mailman.studiosysadmins.com/p...ly/018287.html
    www.hofer-krol.de
    Visualization | Animation | Compositing

Comment

Originally V-Ray used to write tiled OpenEXR files; however reading these files in Nuke is very slow, which caused people to have to convert them manually to scanline-based OpenEXR files, or to write to .vrimg files and then use vrimg2exr to convert them to scanline-based OpenEXR files, which was an additional step. So in the latest versions, V-Ray will write the tile-based OpenEXR file, but at the end of the render will attempt to convert it automatically to a scanline-based OpenEXR file. The .exrsl file is the intermediate scanline-based OpenEXR file before the conversion is fully complete. The only way for you to see these files is if the render process is killed before V-Ray has a chance to get to the end of the render.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Great. Thanks for the info Vlado. So in the case of killing a local render or killing a network render job, it is therefore, possible for these files to appear from time to time.

Thanks,
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeOwen View Post
          So in the case of killing a local render or killing a network render job, it is therefore, possible for these files to appear from time to time.
          Yes - that's exactly what Vlado explained in his previous post:

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          The only way for you to see these files is if the render process is killed before V-Ray has a chance to get to the end of the render.

Vlado
          Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
          Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

how do you know if the exr's are in tiled or scanlined ?
            i have the latest vray and i have the impression that all the exr's are saved in tiled mode because they are very slow in Nuke.
            I have to convert then every time in Nuke to have them in scanline in order to have some speed.

Thanks

Comment

I'm using the exrheader utility that comes with the OpenEXR library to display information about an OpenEXR file.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

does vray compress in 1-scanline or 16-scanline mode ?

Comment

The latest builds should do 1-line scanline; older builds might be doing 16 scanlines.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

Hmm.. i have 2.40.03 installed and seems to be 16 line (could that be correct?)

Comment

Would it be possible to somehow add in the option RE render element options into the main framebuffer ui? The second part of the speed up in nuke is the auto crop / data window which in combination with scanline does great things, but for after effects operators the datawindow makes their frames jitter all over the place due to afx's crap exr handling. Either that or just package option RE with the default installers?

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                        Would it be possible to somehow add in the option RE render element options into the main framebuffer ui?
                        No, I don't think that's the right place for it.

...or just package option RE with the default installers?
                        It should be there already for the nightly builds; will make sure it is included with the next official service pack too.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

Superstar!

Comment

Working...
                          X