Spawner and Backburner Service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spawner and Backburner Service?

Currently, I launch all these manually on my slaves. Am I better off just running them as services? If so, why?
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

I'd probably stick with the exe's, I'd guess 80% of the issues people have with DR are due to issues with services. It is doable but you'll often need to jump through hoops to get drives to stay mounted ( they time out for whatever reasons) and avoid permission issues. We run backburner servers as sevices and need special bat files to mount drives and to reconnect the drives at timed intervals.

If all that hasn't scared you off there is one big positive, you do not need to logon for a service to run so a computer can reboot and the service will kick in automatically. Handy after a power outage or bluescreen or something.
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

How many nodes do you have? I only have 10 dedicated nodes, but if I had to manually launch stuff on all them, serveral times a day, I would not be happy. I have everything running as a service on all nodes with few problems. If I do, I just run a .bat file that restarts the spawner on all nodes. Very simple.
      "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Thanks for the info. Well man - if you could help me out with a batch script that can restart them remotely that would be fantastic.
        LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
        HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
        Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

We use this utility:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897542.aspx

And then run a .bat file that looks like this, just substituting the proper node names and admin username and passord:
          echo off

C:\folder\psservice \\NODE01 -u username -p password start "VRaySpawner 90"
          C:\folder\psservice \\NODE02 -u username -p password start "VRaySpawner 90"
          C:\folder\psservice \\NODE03 -u username -p password start "VRaySpawner 90"

...etc. to include all nodes
          "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Working...
          X