Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new workflow - some test renderings

Hello !

I made some new tests with my new workflow (rwf) and wanted to share my results with you.

a) a single object:

b) no int lights:

c) plus bulb lights and IES light:

my goal was to get a photoreal clear and clean look, and that the materials in the mat editor will look like the same you see in the render. I used white walls and white mat on some furntiture to see if white will really look white.And I wanted to avoid any bleech effect and vray lights should work togehter with IES lights.

thank you,
    bernhard
    www.bernhardrieder.com
    rieder.bernhard@gmail.com

A little antiseptic for me. Lacks any real drama. Any real value with regards to color/light is coming from the color of the furniture, not the lighting.
    Last edited by percydaman; 11-02-2008, 07:07 AM.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Nice.........would you care to elaborate on the new work flow (rwf)?

Comment

thx

@percydaman:
        lol: yeah, that was the goal for the test - antiseptic and no drama. that's cool, now I know I really reached it. (by the way, special greetings to tim & richard.)

@tct70:
        I made different tests in the lwf but I couldn't reach any clear antispetic look in a plain room with white walls - also I wanted to avoid high light values, and high skylight values so I don't need to use subpixel mapping or clamping (I screwed on the gamma settings and set it to the golden middle) - 1.6, I think it's a hybrid, don't really know how to say, so I said rwf (rieder work flow): lol:

well, it's just one way of hundreds - and one of my new experiments i wanted to share.

thx for your comments & happy rendering,
        bernhard
        www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

What color mapping are you using then, linear with gamma 1.6 ? And these renders, are they only lit by a skylight? (environment in render rollout)

regards

Comment

I like it because it's clean and the lighting is in very good control. Sterile, yes, but you could take a starting scene like that and push around any way you wanted to. I like that you use what works best for you and not follow what everyone else is doing. If 1.6 is your magic number, go for it! Are you adjusting your bitmaps to 1.6 too?
            Tim Nelson
            timnelson3d.com

Comment

hello

@stupendousman_dk:
              RWF Settings are:
              color mapping exponential
              D and B Mulitplier: 1
              Gamma: 1.6

These renders, are light with one ext light on the window, like shown in image b). This light simulates additional the skylight. For the int lights, I just added two vray sphere lights, and one IES light, see render c).

@timmatron:
              thx tim and yes it was my goal to get that steril look as a starting point. a scene file, that you can easy use for almost everything. and if you have a clean startup, you can adjust the lights and go for the look you would like to achieve. I tested it also on a very large space (lobby, office in a skyscraper) and it works fine.

bitmaps: I always adjust the bitmaps in ps to the same levels, hue, sat and color. Additional I wanted to see the material in the mat editor like it would render - it always confused me to see it brighter or darker in the mat editor like it was renderd - and it was much more time consuming to adjust. that's the reason for my testings to get faster in production. Hmm, I have really no name for so I named it RWF - lol: it may sound crazy, but in my tests it works fast, clean and easy.

bernhard
              www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

Really nice and really clean. Excellent stuff.

So you are just adjusting the colormap settings and that's all?

I think you're going to have to turn on clamp & subpixel because you're getting some aliasing on a few highlights.

Comment

color, lights and cam

@JeffG2:
                  thx for your kind words - not only the colormap settings - I also used a vray cam with a higher ISO (400) and a very long shutter speed 1,5 - in real life you couldn't do that without a tripod I think, I mean, without getting any shake into the picture.

I know it's a little bit weired, but the reason why I did that is also to work with lower light values. Instead of increasing the light values and skylight values, I used a higher ISO and a longer shutter speed. And I decided to use the vray physical cam, because you have much more control.

The AA is from the Sharpen Filter in PS, but you are right, it can't hurt to turn it on.

thx for your all your comments,
                  I really appreciate that,
                  bernhard
                  www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

I like em, they have that Russian style look to them (That you see on the Russian Portals) so maybe its 'Russian Work Flow'
                    Tom
                    Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

Comment

Fantastic render

bernhard.
                      It's incredible. Congratulations.

I have a question!

How will you do a studio car setup?

Comment

Looks great to me!

Comment

hmmm

@tom182:
                          thank you for your kind words: lol: yeah I like the furniture too, we still have pieces like that in my family house in Austria, I like the old style more too - hmm, maybe because I grew up with that. RWF - haha, the rieder work flow or russian work flow - the main point is that we all have fun with it.

@exagero:
                          a car studio setup can be achieved in many ways. you can do it similar like I did with the living room, or just with a studio hdri. It always depdends which look you would like to get - with the RWF I wanted to get a very clean look, so you can show clients very detailed any piece of furniture, a clean mesh with all the details, the textures and materials on it.
                          I think it's very important for architects to see exactly what they want to present.

and I think it's a good starting point for almost every interior scene and a very god control.
                          but like I said, nothing is perfect and it's just one way of many.

@bob-cat:
                          thank you very much.

bernhard
                          www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

Hi again, i tried your idea/setup now. It is actually very good and super easy to do. Takes no time! and colors match mat editor. A little special look, but i can definetly use it.

Comment

thanks for sharing, no matter the crits, it's good to explore any kind of methods, the russian WF is here by the furnitures and the sharpening stylez. eheh
                              =:-/
                              Laurent

Comment

Working...
                              X