Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Vray project: Coke test

Hi all.

My second test of Vray. I was also testing the "Smart IBL" script/plugin on this one (seems pretty handy, but still had to set some stuff up by hand)

A lot of postwork in photoshop (background, drops on ground, DOF, colour work etc), but I'm really happy with what I am able to get out of Vray. No news to anyone here, but it's a huge relief to me!

C&C welcomed.

Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

top noth!
    congratulations!
    Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
    nuno@ene-digital.com
    00351 917593145

Comment

very nice.
      can u please say a little more about the(great looking)waterdrops?

greets maxer

Comment

Great work. Probably the best water drops I've seen so far.
        The only thing wich bothered me a bit is the background. The whole shot suggests a studio setup and that sky should be something more neutral.
        As Maxer said, could you give some more info about the water drops?

Great work, mate

Zoran

Comment

Thanks ene.xis, maxer and zoran!

The water drops are done with Vray displacement using a map that I made from a Zbrush model. I have been trying for a year to get good water drops/sweat using all kinds of methods, and finally bit the bullet and we did it that way. We spent a couple of days worth of time (here and there between projects) and sculpted a set of probably 300-400 droplets in Zbrush and generated a D.map out of that, which I then adjusted in Photoshop to make it tileable and clean it up. I have made a few variants out of that with more or less droplets.

To add them in the scene I just duplicated the can and applied the Vray disp. mod to the clone. By using the water level function (which I love btw) I was able to get this result. This approach works really well in Vray due to the way the interfaces work for dielectrics - very easy for a change I used the same approach and basic maps for the MGD bottle I posted the other day.

Thanks for the feedback guys - appreciate it!

b
          Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Cool image. I like the method used.

Do you have issues with zbrush displacement maps and vray displacement. I cant seem to get any good results. Any tips would be appreciated
            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by steveiouk View Post
              Cool image. I like the method used.

Do you have issues with zbrush displacement maps and vray displacement. I cant seem to get any good results. Any tips would be appreciated
              Thanks.
              I am not a power user by any means; I just used the MRGBz grabber to generate an alpha of the droplets, and used that for my basic d.map. Works fine for what I was doing here, but I haven't tried to go beyond that yet. I used the same map a few different times now and I have tried both 2d and 3D Vray displacement without seeing much real difference. I used the Vray bitmap filter once and the basic Max bitmap shader and didn't see any difference there either. Maybe I just got lucky

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

b
              Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

You should post that displacement map at http://www.vray-materials.de/
                So you can spread the love :P Then we can have 'wet' week on the vray forums!
                WerT
                www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Great lighting and well, everything!

Comment

nice done mate! best drops i've seen so far! (agree about the env. though)
                    Jonas

www.jonas-balzer.de
                    www.shack.de

Comment

Amazing work!
                      And thank you for sharing your droplets technique.
                      www.vknt.be

Comment

Nicely done, perfect!
                        Would you please show us pure vray render without post work?
                        Thanks
                        www.visumporec.com

Comment

Originally posted by werticus View Post
                          You should post that displacement map at http://www.vray-materials.de/
                          So you can spread the love :P Then we can have 'wet' week on the vray forums!
                          YES! Please do!
                          I've been working on a scene with waterdrops myself, but couldn't get the drops right
                          Your render looks amazing, especially the waterdrops! Although I probably would've used a little less drops.
                          www.artbyarjan.com - Online portfolio (temporarily offline)
                          @home:
                          / AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.00Ghz / ATI HD 4890 / 8Gb Ram /
                          / Vista Ultimate x64 / Max 2010 / Vray 1.5 SP3a Edu /
                          @work:
                          / Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz /
                          Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 / 8Gb Ram /
                          / Vista Bussines x64 /

Comment

Originally posted by simmsimaging View Post
                            Thanks.
                            I am not a power user by any means; I just used the MRGBz grabber to generate an alpha of the droplets, and used that for my basic d.map. Works fine for what I was doing here, but I haven't tried to go beyond that yet. I used the same map a few different times now and I have tried both 2d and 3D Vray displacement without seeing much real difference. I used the Vray bitmap filter once and the basic Max bitmap shader and didn't see any difference there either. Maybe I just got lucky

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

b

Thanks for the info anyway Keep up the good work
                            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Thanks Jonas, werticus, voltron7, VKNT, visumporec, DrJan!

Here is the RGB pass. I rendered in passes and comped a few elements together as well so there really isn't "one" raw render - but the passes were more for details so this is pretty close to being one:

As for the map: sorry guys, but I'm not quite ready to let that one go just yet. It represents a pretty crazy amount of work - it's more like asking me for a model than a material in this case. I've been pretty free with my materials with other engines and intend to share most of what I do - but this one is staying with me for now

b
                              Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Working...
                              X