seemingly seamless/tiled patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seemingly seamless/tiled patterns

does anyone have any ideas on how to make a large area of grass seem somewhat natural looking through vrayblend materials or composites through multiple bitmaps

i hate the tiled look from a far when using grass textures or any image that is overly tiled

thanks

Have you tried adding displacement to it? I apply a VRayDisplacement modifier and find that it helps a lot in breaking up the tiling effect and making the grass look better.

Comment

Use a mix shader for your displacement, have one slightly lighter version of your displacement map mixed with a darker one, with a third grassy map in the mix amount. The 2 main ones map at sizes which dont go into each other, like 750x750 and 830x830, and then map the mix bitmap at something much higher like 7500x7500.

edit: Gets you a result something like this, with reasonably natural looking clumping in areas. Ignore the trees, it's an old test.
      Last edited by Neilg; 07-04-2008, 08:36 AM.

Comment

grass

nice grass!
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

thanks for the tip! awesome grass

Comment

any way to do this without displacement? could you do this in the diffuse slot?

Comment

i will play, thanks for all the help here

Comment

I tried an interesting variation of this technique. I don't have the images but I will walk you through the process. I used 2 maps for the mix maps but then I created a mask with using vertex paint. It was a fun way to play maybe overkill for many things but worth looking at if you haven't. Main problem with it is you have to have a small sub divided mesh to get clean painting.

Comment

Cubicle-do you get flickering when doing an animation of your displaced grass? (which looks killer btw)

Comment

Cubicle, what is your displace amount if you don't mind. I usually use something like 1.5" for the vraydisplacement modifier, which I take it you aren't using, but if you have any advice for that it'd be appreciated.
                    Colin Senner

Comment

About 250 mm - but I used two displacement maps without much contrast and mixed them with another map, so in any one area it's probably only between 30-70mm for the blades.

And no - no flickers at all, it was made with the intent of being used in animations.

tptnshp - I've not tried without displacement, it just relies on using a combination of maps in a way to add constant variation, I guess you could do it with just a diffuse.

Comment

cubiclegangster:
                        nice grass!!! do u use standandard UVW or world coordinate one? as far as i remember 3d displacement would not work with the world one...
                        Martin
                        http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Cheers man - It's standard UVW maps, just stack them up. And 2d displacement, never got good results with 3d in an animation.

Comment

Cubicle, care to share your render settings that yield no flickers? We always have scintillation in our displaced grass...

Comment

Outstanding, Cubicle. Would you save your grass material as a .mat-file? -- Since I'm doing ArchViz, this would be great. V-Ray Fur is not really usefull, if rendering big areas.
                              --> http://www.tobyatwork.de
                              --> http://www.scriptspot.com/blog/toby

Comment

Working...
                              X