No announcement yet.

Animation (prepass) Flickering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not completely flicker free in SP2, but it can be still useful, depending on the situation.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      It should work in SP2 as well actually. Which part of it is not working?

Best regards,
      Vlado
      Second phase, when I do my final render, the frames are not uniform, they are subtle changes in the shades, like if you were moving the light (but I not moving the light, I'm moving one object).

Comment

It should work in SP2 as well actually. Which part of it is not working?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        here you can see what it is the problem:

http://www.dreamimagecompany.com/Nan.../nanohouse.wmv

any help will be very appreciated.

Best regards,

Carlos B.
        Last edited by CarlosBZ; 30-01-2009, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosBZ View Post
          Second phase, when I do my final render, the frames are not uniform, they are subtle changes in the shades, like if you were moving the light (but I not moving the light, I'm moving one object).
          Wohu, this isn´t subtle. I would say this is the classical SP2 problem. Try to render the scene in still-image mode with high GI-settings. I know, sounds a little weird, but it works for me quite well. Rendertimes are kinda long...

If the GI´s quality is good enough it can provide a stable animation.

If you post the scene I would give it a try (Max 2008 only).

Comment

thanks a lot!

my bad luck, this is in 3ds max 2009

I will try your tip

best regards,

Carlos B.

Comment

I am finding that SP3 is working in some animations but not in others - check these images;

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...1&d=1233749791

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...1&d=1233749791

The scene shows the floor plate elements animate into view from varying directions and the roof tiles flip into place and effectively flow away from the camera. The problem is that the roof tiles in the distance are leaving these black blocks after they have animated into place. I must admit that this also happened in SP2.

The first image is from the animation following Vlado's CASE 1 technique.

The second image is the same frame rendered straight. The black blocks have disappeared.

What is happening ? This method worked in a previous animation but is obviously not working for this one.
              Attached Files
              www.morphic.tv
              www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

Please email about any issues related to SP3 directly to me at vlado@chaosgroup.com; it is not a good idea to discuss this on the forum.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Sp3

it is not a good idea to discuss this on the forum.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Yes because people like me see "SP3" and heaven opens and I forget what I was busy with...
                  Kind Regards,
                  Morne

Comment

I too am getting some "flicker" with the prepass technique. Perhaps it's got something to do with the Light Cache settings.
                    Last edited by MegaPixel; 09-06-2010, 04:56 AM.

Comment

flickering

Vlado,

what about if you have moving objects and a moving camera, should I use case 2, but with flythgrough for the LC?
                      res3d

Comment

flickering

here is the animation, i have a moving camera and moving objects. you can see the flickering happening on what is called a lubricator moving down. Also the rest of the area is flickering too, the walls... I used animation pree=pass for the IR anc flythrough for the LC. I have used these settings before, but did not get this flickering. Could it be that I am using: light cache for glossy array and store with IR map?
                        http://vimeo.com/channels/36895
                        res3d

Comment

It's a bit hard to say with this level of compression; did you use the new "Use camera path" option for the light cache/irradiance map in SP3? It should help in this case.

Best regards,
                          Vlado

Comment

flckering

When you do the rendering after the prepass how do you set the LC, Does the LC need to be calculated independently for each frame or do you set the LC to from.

I am having similar issues with flickering. I also found that there are issues with one node rendering one frame differently than another and that two frames that were rendered by the same computer will be different. this difference is causing flicker.

http://vimeo.com/channels/36895
                            res3d

Comment

Case II - "Use light cache for glossy rays" is ON

Phase 1 - calculating the irradiance maps
                              1.1. Set the light cache to "Single frame"
                              1.2. Optionally turn off the "Store direct light" option for the light cache
                              1.3. Set the irradiance map mode to "Animation (prepass)"
                              1.4. Render all the animation frames to produce an irradiance map for each frame

Phase 2 - render the final animation
                              2.1. Keep the light cache to "Single frame" mode
                              2.2. Set the irradiance map mode to "Animation (rendering)"
                              2.3. Optionally reduce the "Interpolation samples" to 10-15 and/or "Interpolation frames" to 1 to save render time
                              2.4. Render the final animation frames
                              Vlado, could you add how to use "use camera path" for LC in this procedure? What I mean is if I have to use it for both LC, in phase 1 and phase 2 or only in one of them (which one?).

Regards

Comment

You should keep this option the same for both phases. However, if you don't use the "Use light cache for glossy rays" option, you can turn off the light cache completely for the final renders.

Best regards,
                                Vlado

Comment

Working...
                                X