Which parts of the project did you find most challenging?
Viktor: We didn’t have an elaborate character sheet for Flabby the caterpillar, so it was a challenge to get the right design and shape and make it look appealing and sweet. Another task which took me nearly a month to finish was the VFX in the climactic shot, where Flabby starts to burn. I struggled with the direction of the smoke, dissolving particles, and making the burning edges look realistic.
Betty: It was a crucial and challenging scene. I animated it, and Viktor did all the effects, such as smoke, flames, and ash. We worked closely together, as it was tricky to get the timing right for the acting, as well as the correct look for the effects.
Alex: As we only had three 3D artists in the core team, we had to take over areas in which we were not well versed. One of my tasks was the rendering. This part of the project was challenging for me because I hadn’t done much rendering, and I’d barely used V-Ray for Maya at all. But it was a lot of fun to learn.
Betty: An additional difficulty was managing the general rendering process and creating a strategy to get all the frames rendered on time. We were lucky there was the option to render on the computers in the lesson rooms at our university, and we used Royal Render to organize our render tasks, and guarantee that the computers are not rendering during other students’ lessons.
Thanks to Chaos Group’s license sponsorship, we could add another lecture room to our render farm. We are thankful for the help of the lecturers, staff, and students of the university, who helped us to set up the farm and keep it rendering.